Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Within the past 12 days.. I've attended two of my daughter's graduations (200 miles away); cleaned almost every inch of my house; held a graduation party for 60+ (handmade 90 burritos and 20 burrito bowls to order); attended my son's orchestra concert; and attended my brother's graduation party. Today I have to go to a wedding; and my daughter is the narrator of the 3rd grade play on Wednesday.

This is the thought that keeps running through my head.. I want to be on a cruise! Instead, I think I will make Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. This is the famous Carnival Cruise dessert, and you may already have the "secret" recipe, but this one is different. This is maître d' George the Greek's adaptation. George took pity on a few of us and gave us a galley tour and this recipe. I won't go into detail about why the pity was needed, because I've already been in trouble over a trip report I posted online, so lets just say it wasn't the FUN Ship, it was the FUNeral Ship. We made the best of it, and it certainly was memorable.

 
Warm Chocolate Melting Cake
  • 1 bag (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 sticks butter, softened
  • 7 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • powdered sugar
  • vanilla ice cream
Melt chocolate chips and butter. The easiest way to do this is to use a double boiler; or you can boil some water and find a dish or another pan to set on top of the pan that has boiling water. Ikea sells a great pan for this. Don't melt chocolate directly in a pan on the stove unless you like burnt chocolate taste. 

Whisk 4 eggs and sugar for a few minutes, then add flour and whisk, then add the other 3 eggs and whisk some more. Why? I don't know.

Add the egg/flour/sugar mixture to the chocolate/butter mixture and stir.

Fill small ramekin dishes halfway with mixture and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. This is a gooey cake, that's the point of it.

Sprinkle tops with powered sugar, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a side dish and serve immediately. This should make about 6-10 individual cakes, depending on the size of dish you use. I bought the dishes pictured on clearance somewhere, I've also seen a good size to use at Dollar Tree.

Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and often adapt things I've seen, tasted, heard about, or read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment