Monday, April 19, 2010

Potatoes in Cream

Some people are afraid of potatoes. Aside from the fat jokes, I don't really know what is going on with them lately, but apparently it's serious because health conscious people say things like if you can't afford organic food, at least buy organic potatoes. 

My grandpa used to put potatoes in dirt under the entry-way into his house. When you went down to the basement, there was an open area full of dirt just under the floor, and that's where the potatoes were. I'm sure there are 50 year old potatoes still in that dirt today. They might even be healthier than the potatoes in the store. That's a scary thought.

A search for "potatoes are evil" tells me that in the 1600's, Europeans thought potatoes caused leprosy, syphilis, narcosis, scrofula, early death, sterility, and rampant sexuality.

I plan to research this potato thing more, but in the meantime, I am buying packaged pre-cut potatoes at Aldi. The thought of potatoes seasoned with rosemary/garlic/olive oil and covered in cream is making me feel rampantly sexual hungry right now.

Pick Your Poison: 



Potatoes in Cream
  • Potatoes, in any form
  • Heavy Whipping Cream

Combine potatoes and cream in a baking dish and bake uncovered at 350° for at least an hour. You can vary the temperature and cooking time to accommodate other recipes.

NOTE: Both the potatoes and heavy whipping cream should be the same temperature prior to combining. i.e.: the potato wedges are frozen, so thaw them first. 


Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and often adapt things I've seen, tasted, heard about, or read about.

1 comment: