Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Minnesota Funeral Comfort Food

Bags cost money at Aldi. Boxes are free. If you do RecycleBank, the box adds weight to your recycling and can earn you some cool things eventually. I use Ikea bags at Aldi. These are my favorites: 


The blue one is the smaller version of Ikea's big bag and it has a nice long strap and I sometimes look like a pack mule leaving Aldi with 5 bags on each shoulder, which brings me to..

You need a quarter for a shopping cart. You get the quarter back when you return the cart, but needing to remember a quarter and some shopping bags or searching for boxes might end up to be the straw that broke the camel's back when all you want to do is get in the store, get some food and get out. I don't really like returning the cart, but I like using it inside the store, so I try to pack myself up and put the cart back before I head for the car.

My aunt Darene told me this is called African Chow Mein, but I seriously don't think many people are eating it in Africa, so I call it..

Minnesota Funeral Comfort Food

  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 3-1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1 diced onion
  • 4 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 4 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups sliced celery
  • 1 lb. raw hamburger
  • 1 can cashews pieces

Mix all ingredients (except cashews) in a baking pan/dish. Bake covered at 350° for 50 minutes, then uncover and cook 10 minutes longer.

Top with cashews. It's easier for everyone to do this individually if you're not eating it after a funeral.

Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and often adapt things I've seen, heard, or read.

No comments:

Post a Comment