Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Potato Soup

While visiting my husband's aunt Phyllis, she asked me if I ever shopped at Aldi. I didn't know what she was talking about, so she showed me several generic looking packages with great enthusiasm while I tried to find the appeal. It just wasn't there, but I did want to see this magical place.

Once home, I went to Aldi's website and searched for locations near me. There was one 9 miles away. The following Saturday,I had my first Aldi experience. I was instantly transported back to the late 70's/early 80's warehouse/no name grocery experience. I tried, I really did, but I didn't want any of that stuff, I wanted the stuff I always buy. I came home with milk, string cheese and a huge bag of ridiculously cheap produce. It was so cheap that I was skeptical of it.


I might not have ever stepped into another Aldi, but my youngest child is a string cheese snob. I used to be one too until the one and only brand of string cheese that I liked was discontinued. She said it was the BEST string cheese EVER (it was). I then made a point of stopping at Aldi whenever I was in that area and little by little, I began to try other items.


The recipes you will find here are nothing spectacular and probably fattening, but healthier than a Big Mac. I am just a mom with kids and a husband. I don't particularly enjoy cooking, but I insist on everyone stopping everything at 6 pm and assembling at our dining room table.


The reason for this blog is that I decided to compare my grocery receipts for a year and I discovered I was saving $80 a month by shopping at Aldi. We won't get into why I did this, who has the time for that? Just know I did it and it's true and an extra $80 a month means something to many people these days.

Potato Soup

Place potatoes and chicken broth in a Crock Pot. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours. Approx. 30-60 minutes before serving, add brick of cream cheese and stir well.


Optional add-ins:
  • 1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled or 1 bag bacon bits
  • 1 stalk celery (sliced)
  • ham

Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and often adapt things I've seen, heard, or read.

1 comment:

  1. great recipe! i'll have to try it someday, gotta find a bacon subsitute tho. watch this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

    ReplyDelete