Thursday, April 15, 2010

Caramel Corn

My two younger kids told me that writing about Aldi and food is the dumbest thing I've ever done. I beg to differ, but I don't care to elaborate. If they ever want this recipe again, they will need to apologize.

I love popcorn. The Vali-Hi Drive-In Theater in Lake Elmo, Minnesota has the best popcorn in the entire world. My husband says that's probably because their popcorn machine hasn't been cleaned for 60 years. The only way I can come remotely close to making decent popcorn at home is to use a Stir-Crazy popcorn popper and coconut oil. I buy coconut oil at Super Walmart. This is not a requirement for this recipe, all the sugar disguises sub-par popcorn.
 

Caramel Corn

  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 tbsp. corn syrup
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 5 cups unsalted popped popcorn

Pop popcorn and place in a large, microwavable, non-plastic bowl.

Combine brown and white sugars, butter, corn syrup and salt in a pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring continually with a wooden spoon (I like bamboo). Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute. 

Remove pan from heat and add baking soda and vanilla, stir well.

Pour hot mixture over popcorn and stir with your wooden spoon and then put that spoon somewhere where you can't reach it.

Microwave mixture for 30 seconds, remove from microwave and stir well with a metal spoon.

Microwave for an additional 30 seconds, remove from microwave and stir well with that same metal spoon.

Spread the mixture onto wax paper and allow to cool.

Put all the cooking utensils used into the sink with lots of dish soap and very hot water and try not to think about getting them clean later.

Optional add-in:
  • add nuts to the popped popcorn prior to adding the hot mixture

Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and adapt things I've seen, heard, or read.

No comments:

Post a Comment