Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bring on the Bourbon!

This was my shopping list for Thanksgiving:

  • Turkey
  • Sage-Seasoned Sausage (fresh)
  • Sage (fresh)
  • Rosemary (fresh)
  • Thyme (fresh)
  • Celery
  • Garlic
  • Lemon
  • Onions (white)
  • Onions (yellow)
  • Shallots
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Mushrooms
  • Eggs
  • Butter (lots!)
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • Evaporated Milk
  • Olive Oil
  • Brown Sugar
  • Green Beans
  • Corn
  • Creamed Corn
  • Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • Chicken Broth
  • Vegetable Broth
  • French-fried Onions (sold out)
  • Bread Cubes (I wanted bakery dried)
  • Cranberry Sauce (had dried, but not canned)
  • Pickles
  • Black Olives
  • Green Olives
  • Sparkling Apple Juice
  • Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil
  • 1-Gallon Zip Bags
  • 1-Quart Zip Bags

The only items I couldn't purchase at Aldi are in red, the sage sausage is in green because it came from Trader Joe's (owned by Aldi). Have you been near a regular grocery story this week? Do people only eat once a year? The trip to Aldi took less time than the trip to pick up the items in red. There were fantastic sale prices at the other grocery stores, but I still saved $27 dollars by choosing Aldi.


I'm making two new recipes this year. One is stuffing with sage sausage and the other is sweet potatoes on the grill with fresh rosemary and olive oil. I'm on my 14th year doing an herb-infused turkey, which is a big pain in the butt, but worth it. We're also having our die-hard traditional mashed potatoes with shallot and herb gravy, green bean casserole and bourbon corn pudding. My mom is bringing dessert and rolls (my favorite).


This Thanksgiving I am feeling especially thankful for my husband. He offered to take everyone out for dinner this year (even researched places to go) because of how rapidly my health has deteriorated in the last 6 weeks, but I couldn't do that to the kids; so instead, he drove me grocery shopping and is planning to chop, dice and slice with me for a few hours tomorrow night to get ready.


Wishing everyone reading this a Happy Thanksgiving full of friends and family and good things to eat!






Bourbon Corn Pudding

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 2 cans cream-style corn
  • 3 cups corn (frozen or drained from can)
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 5 tbsp. bourbon (my friend Sara said molasses works great as a substitute and they carry it seasonally at Aldi) 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.

Beat eggs and evaporated milk together in large bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients and pour mixture into baking dish. Bake 45 minutes or until slightly browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.



P.S. I still can't get the formatting right for this blog since I switched to a Mac!

No comments:

Post a Comment