Tuesday, August 17, 2010

East Side Insalata Caprese

My husband drinks tomato juice like other people drink water. It makes a glug-glug-glug sound when he's pouring it out of the can. I can't leave the house without him saying, "I'm almost out of tomato juice." He also loves all kinds of tomato-based foods, especially Swiss steak, which I made for supper tonight.

So.. you'd think that he'd love fresh tomatoes, right? No, he won't touch them. He even makes a face when he's looking at them, and I've seen him fling a tomato slice off a burger faster than a magician could make one disappear. Two of my kids, however, LOVE fresh tomatoes, and last week, we were given some beauties from the Pearson garden in Mound, Minnesota {{thank you again}}. I have two left and they are going to disappear like a rabbit under a top hat tomorrow. 

Our house has been torn apart from one end to the other for the past two weeks and that made me forget about food and blogs, so I apologize to my 3 followers. My youngest finally got her grown up bedroom remodel, it's pink on pink on white. Of course that led to another thing that needed to be changed/fixed/cleaned, and another and another. My favorite new thing is carpeting on the stairs. If I had a laptop, I would be sitting on the new carpeted stairs writing this. I still am not iPad savvy for writing beyond a sentence or two.


Aldi is now stocking fresh mozzarella cheese. I don't know about you, but nothing excites me more than a ball of cheese in an open cooler. I don't know who is making this cheese for them, but it slices perfectly and tastes heavenly.
East Side Insalata Caprese
  • fresh mozzarella cheese ball(s), sliced 1/4"
  • tomatoes (same size as cheese if possible), sliced 1/4"
  • fresh basil (or you can use this stuff but it won't be as good)
  • olive oil
  • coarse ground salt
  • coarse ground black pepper
Stack cheese slices on top of tomato slices and arrange on a plate.
Tear up pieces of fresh basil and scatter over the top.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Drizzle with olive oil.

Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and often adapt things I've seen, tasted, heard about, or read about.


No comments:

Post a Comment