Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Smear Campaign

I have an addiction to happy kitchen dishes, knives, appliances and gadgets. Fiesta had been fulfilling that need, but.. now I've found the greatest bowls on earth, which happen to have a Zero Landfill Policy and a Recycle-a-Bowl Program. They are called CaliBowls, and I love them! After an unfortunate graduation party accident that nearly left me footless (refried beans [aka napalm] spilling out of a bowl onto my bare foot), I have total confidence that a CaliBowl would never have harmed me in such a vicious manner. 

I wish people came with a "no-spill" lip, as my feelings were recently napalmed, but, such is life, hopefully that will heal faster than my foot.


One of my favorite things about Aldi is that they always have avocados in stock and in varying states of ripeness, and they always cost way less than anywhere else. Sometimes they are only 29¢.

This is something you can spread on anything, I haven't found one thing that doesn't taste better with(out?) avocado, except maybe chocolate, but I haven't tried it.

Smear Campaign
  • 1 big ripe (or 2 small) avocado
  • 1/4 tsp. minced garlic in olive oil
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice (or a packet of True Lemon or True Lime)
  • 1 tbsp. very finely chopped onion
Cut avocado in half and remove the pit, scoop the fruit into a bowl, and mash it with a fork. 

Add other ingredients and mix thoroughly.

NOTE: The secret to keeping avocado-anything green is to keep the air out, so if you store this, put a piece of wax paper over the top of the spread before you seal it in a container.

Disclaimer: I do not own these recipes. I cook from memory and often adapt things I've seen, tasted, heard about, or read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment